Torrent

Thursday, September 07, 2006



I had always known Mussorie. Ruskin Bond stories had done the task of making me fall in love with this old idyllic town. My imagination had often created Char Dukan, Lal tibba, Kulri bazzar, Landour and the old graveyard and I used to pass by all these places saying hello to them or giving them a friendly wink. When we actually decided to go to Mussorie, I excitedly waited to discover how accurately I had visualised the town. I visited Mussorie twice in the course of one and a half months. Each time, I met a different Mussorie.

On the first trip, my excitement knew no bounds. We boarded a night bus to Dehradun. In the comfort of a volvo we completely forgot the office fatigue and the boredom of city life. Its amazing how even the thought of visiting a beautiful place brings out the beautiful and effervecent person in us. Our faces were beaming with the thoughts of a lovely journey ahead. On an average day, sleep rules my mind but that night I just wanted to stare out from the window into the dark expase of night mystically lit by the moonlight. The feverish cities had come to a temporary halt in the night. On the way, the shutters of the shops had been drawn down and the roads were a lonesome sight save for a few stray dogs who barked frantically at the approach of our bus.

The wide fields and the gaunt trees stood silently as if basking under the sensual touch of the moonlight. Some rays of the moon streamed inside the bus evoking delightful memories from the other trips in the past. I sat and observed the nature embracing me and helping me connect with myself. For two days i wanted to surrender myself to nature's charms.
I was wide awake till we reached the periphery of the foothills. Soon we were moving round and round and up and down on the snaky roads. The air had suddenly become cooler and the moon was peeping from behind a hill. The little stretch of forest with a dry riverbed seemed to be in a slumber. Now that I had seen everything on the way, I decided to snatch a few moments of sleep. I snuggled up to my friend who had been snoring in contentment, and closed my eyes.

Dehradun bus Depot:4 a.m.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home